Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hanging out with Britt, Lincoln, Matthew....and Jesus

….and Lynnette and Heather; to round out my week.  This has been an exhausting, productive, inspiring, and amazing week. During my “Coffee with Jesus” time on more than one occasion, I scolded myself for not writing more. I feel guilty and selfish for not sharing all that He has done for me lately; the good, the bad, the reminders, the praises, the time, and the friends. The tagline scripture in the banner of my blog should be a constant reminder …. “Be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” 1Peter 3:15. I am not only prepared but welcome any opportunity (or make my own) to let people know where the joy in my heart comes from…even when, to others in the world, I have every reason to not be joyful. Oh, if only they knew. Hey…they can because I can’t keep quiet about it; until recently. I have no reason for not writing more often and have pinky promised with my new Cardboard Jesus that the writing will be much more frequent and I will not just share His praises with those I see, but those that will “SEE” Him in me by writing this blog.
First the exhausting and productive parts. I was elated to begin volunteering at my church again this week. You are now “looking at” the self-proclaimed Vacuum Queen of Northridge Church. I get to don my cape and grab the super powered German machine three days a week for four hours each day (and still not get it all done). I am embarrassed to admit that after vacuuming six hours straight on Monday that Monday night left me sore and unable to move from my couch that greeted me at the top of my entryway stairs. I couldn’t believe how physically drained I was but laid there with a smile on my face. Throughout my vacuuming I was encouraged in Him via my pink headphones attached to my pink iTouch; my good friends Britt (Nicole), Lincoln (Brewster), and Matthew (West) singing His praises literally ….as loud as my musical machine would go. I was thankful that the din of the vacuum drowned out just how loud it was as people passed me in the hallways with a smile and/or a wave.
I started my day with Britt blaring in both ears. To think I didn’t even “know” her until a couple months ago when Janet shared a song that “was so me.” She told me that she thought of me when hearing it and had to share how she saw me and give me hope to never stop sharing my story or what He has done for me because that’s “…How the Lost get Found.”
Don't let your lights go down, Don't let your fire burn out....'cause somewhere, somebody needs a reason to believe. Why don't you rise up now? Don't be afraid to stand out. That's how the lost get found. The lost get found.
I think all of us hear music and are inspired or reminded, blessed and touched, or just made happier; especially anything that has to do with Him….at least that is how I see it. After Britt sang I played Matthew and loved being taken in by his praises to Jesus; stories put to music to make our relationships even more real than they already are. My husband and I have a song that is “our song” and when I hear others I am reminded of one friend or another. But…if I were asked to pick just one song that was mine and Jesus’ song I could never pick just one. I probably have three or four just from my good friend Matthew. This week it was “You Are Everything.” This is the song that brings me back to my testimony shared at church where I met Janet for the first time.

I’m the one with big mistakes, big regrets - And bigger breaks than I’d ever care to confess.  Oh, but You’re the one who looks at me and sees what I was meant to be...more than just a beautiful mess.
You are everything that I live for....Everything that I can't believe is happening - You're standing right in front of me with arms wide open - All I know is everyday is filled with hope.
Then I ended my day, for the last hour, I vacuumed happily and joy filled to the same song. Lincoln singing “Today is the Day.” THIS was the song that if I were forced to pick just ONE….would be in the top five. This is how I feel for Him everyday, no matter the situation. I wake up singing this to Him and live it to the fullest. But, regardless of how many times I have heard and sang this song…Today WAS the Day.
I'm casting my cares aside. I'm leaving my past behind. I'm setting my heart and mind on you....Jesus. I'm reaching my hand to yours. Believing there's so much more. Knowing that all you have in store for me is good. - Today is the day you have made. I will rejoice and be glad in it....and I won’t worry about tomorrow. I’m trusting in what you say - Today is the day.
Today was the day that my heart sang to Him even if my lips weren’t moving and sound did not escape my mouth. Because for some reason I thought of Him like I hadn’t before. I truly believe that there is a party in Heaven every time someone repents and finds their own relationship with Jesus and I know that there is singing going on and arms wide open each time someone “comes back to Him.” BUT today I wondered… does He sing for us as we do for Him? Of course He does. At least that is how I saw Jesus today. Instead of me hearing a song and saying to myself “Yeah, that is totally something I would, and do, sing to Him.” I imagined Jesus singing it about me; about us. Him singing to me “This is how the lost get found” or Jesus telling me “You are my everything” and definitely Him reminding me every day that “Today is the Day” that He made and gave to me to do His work for His glory and tell anyone that will listen.

The inspiring and amazing parts of my week are the ones I never get tired of but feel blessed and surprised each time I think about them; my family and my friends. Everything is in His timing and it seems to take forever when I am constantly just sitting and waiting for an answer to this prayer or that one but…every once in a while I have glimpses of what he needs from me; to be patient and satisfied with knowing He has it all under control. AND it is sooo much better to be surprised when the UPS truck shows up outside with a brightly colored, wrapped present from Him than to be waiting on the porch, anxious for every truck sound that rounds the corner….expecting something that may or may not come. I waited for two years for a hopeful, renewed relationship with my oldest daughter and I had given up hope more than once until one day….there it was; my brightly colored package in the form of an email and then another, and another. It was like Christmas, my birthday, and Mother’s Day ALL rolled into one and it is a gift I cherish with each email I receive from her. I love that He gave this gift to me and in finding me, has given a gift to my mom as well. THAT is the true Circle of Life and one I am very grateful for.
The friends he has given me are incredible and inspiring and are cheerleaders in their own rite. There are many examples of friendships throughout the bible and He leaves it up to us to find the friendship we most want to emulate…and that goes beyond the kind of relationship we have with Him but to one we are encouraged to have with others. I am blessed to have many friends but the friendship I am most blessed to have is one with Lynnette. She is my Barnabas and one that is Barnabas to others as well. Let me back up just a bit….
When I went to my first bible study at Northridge Church I was anxious about the kind of people that Jesus would put in my path. I hadn’t been to a bible study before, and being a new Christian, could only imagine what the others in the study would be like. I worried they were closer to God because they had been Christians longer. I didn’t think I would fit in because I had a sketchy past to be rescued from and couldn’t possibly imagine others from a church with that kind of story. Lynnette sat beside me and in her quiet acceptance, welcomed me not only to the church and study, but to be her friend outside of that setting.
It is no secret that I have a crush on the apostle Paul. Aside from being completely smitten by everything he and Jesus says, I use him as an example of what I want my life to be like; finding joy in the strangest of places and encouraging others to find that joy and live it as I try to. One of my favorite books is by Beth Moore: “To Live Is Christ” and it is ALL about Paul. She writes:
“God had issued Saul an undeniable apostolic calling. He probably assumed his place was with the other apostles. But when he arrived in Jerusalem and tried to associate with them, “they were all afraid of him, since they did not believe he was a disciple.” (Acts 9:26)
Two wonderful words begin the next verse: “But Barnabas.” Without a doubt Barnabas was a hero. Few things touch my heart more than Christian men who risk vulnerability in obedience to Christ. Barnabas reached out a helping hand to a discouraged man. Saul took that hand. Two lives bonded n that moment.
God use Barnabas to give others the courage to be the people He had called before the other apostles, they may have remembered how each of them had been the focus of his encouragement at one time or another. Now he encouraged them to accept a new brother.
Many probably criticized Barnabas for being gullible concerning Saul. Barnabas was willing to give people a chance even when others weren’t. Let’s look for ways to be a Barnabas in another’s life.
“I have great joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.” Philemon 7”
Just as Paul had his own writing style and spoke from his heart encouraging others and telling anyone who would listen…what kind of person Barnabas was, it is only fitting that I try and emulate by showing everyone the kind of friend I have in Lynnette. No…it wasn’t as dramatic a scenario as Paul and Barnabas encountered but I did wonder if Lynnette’s husband would think she was crazy for wanting to befriend “someone like me.” But… in that moment and in many that have followed, Jesus bonded two lives for which I am eternally grateful. I only hope that I can give her the same encouragement in what she encounters and be a cheerleader for her as she is for the other “Lylas” we are blessed to cross paths with.  “We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage, if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.” Romans 12:6-8
This has truly been a week of things that others may not be joyful about; my husband is still unemployed and my youngest still moved 2500 miles away. There are still more bills than income and the glass vase near our door is getting filled with worries we give to Him because they are out of our control. But, no matter what happens in my life… I am forever reminded through friends, family, the bible, books, and music that He has been there and will continue to be there no matter what happens. We just need to put our faith in Him and know that he will provide. We are not alone but have Him and those he gives to us. “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words Gidget.
    You are an inspiration to so many. You have found the secret of being content in every situation- Phil 4:12. There are so many who never find that! Keep sharing your story so that we can all learn from you. Lyla, You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gidget, I'm so glad that among your many gifts that God has given you, you are an excellent writer and you are becoming everything He is created you for. Thank you for your transparent heart that allows others to see Christ in you. I'm glad I was able to be your DJ LYLAS and love the fact you worship Him loudly and without restraint wherever you are. Your enthusiasm, spark, and love of Jesus is infectous. You inspire me to go full out for Him. You are a treasure and a gift! Love ya! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lylas. It is so easy to be joyful and faithful in any circumstance with friends like you; that HE gave to me.

    The more He puts us through....the better He looks to those who don't have a relationship with Him...YET.

    ReplyDelete