Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day Two: Counting Gummy Bears

This morning was another great morning and another great opportunity to “Win for Him.” What could be better than losing weight with a Christ Centered program? Glowing on the inside and out and being immersed in His word while doing it. Woohoo.
I love that Jesus finds a way to use our past challenges for His glory and it is still hard for me to believe that the same “person” I avoided for so long forgave me when I couldn’t forgive myself and now, I do whatever I can to forgive those around me and share the mercy and grace He gave so freely. That being said… it would be really great to lose weight, be an example, and give Him the glory not just for what he has pulled me through from my past but for walking next to me as I learn to crave him more than anything else around me. Since accepting a relationship with Him I have done my best to strive to please him by soaking up what I can in His word; forming a true friendship with him and a crush on Paul in the process. I have started and stopped many things in my past 42 years but my love and interest in him has only gotten stronger in the past 16 months, never wavering…. always wanting more. I am far from being the most spiritually fit I can be but I will never stop striving for it. Why then am I so complacent when it comes to my physical fitness? Shouldn’t my outsides match my insides? You betcha… and it starts with this bible study. I loved, and completely saw myself in something Lysa said in her devotion yesterday…. “I was a woman who loved Jesus. Why couldn’t I figure this out? I had found victory in so many areas of my life, but this area alluded me.”
I know that He sees me as a success story already but what if I could give him a little bit more? What if the way my jeans fit and my arms looked could be credited to him too? I know that he celebrated when I returned “home” but imagine the celebration that could be had if I could run to him without my legs rubbing together; crossing a real finish line and breaking the tape as I run into his arms like long lost friends after entirely too much time apart.
I needed milk and a food scale today. Imagine my surprise when the local drugstore didn’t have the scale, even in the “As Seen On TV” aisle. Picked up a few things without giving up on finding the scale….that I never found. (Thank God mommy ordered me one and Cardboard Jesus will be on the porch waiting for it on Monday.) This is only Day Two but the snacks were screaming my name…I ignored them all. I never noticed the product placement before either. Do we really need four aisles devoted to Easter basket fillers; candy, grass, toys, and plastic eggs? I never really thought I “craved” food or snacks but in not being able to have them, they seem to be everywhere and I found myself craving them more than ever. 
Crave: [kreyv] verb, craved, craving
-       verb (used with object)
1.    to long for; want greatly; desire eagerly: to crave sweets; to crave affection.
2.    to require; need: a problem craving prompt attention.
3.    to ask earnestly for (something); beg for.
4.    to ask (a person) earnestly for something or to do something.

-       verb (used without object)
5.    to beg or plead (usually followed by for).
I wanted the Hostess Ding Dongs greatly. My “Inner Gidget” was begging for the Lays potato chips even though they clearly aren’t ever accused of being a health food. I earnestly thought to myself that I could have the Chips Ahoy cookies and no one would know the difference. Who am I kidding? He would know. He knows my heart and thoughts even before I do. Keep walking. Get out of that aisle and grab the milk. Done. I nearly made it to the cashier before spotting a .99 cent bag of Gummy Bears. I surveyed the package for the nutritional information but being new to the whole Weight Watchers Points Plus thing, couldn’t figure out the number of points per serving. They are little and chewy; harmless little bears. How bad could it be? Even Jesus likes juicy treats once in a while, right? When I got home I counted out the serving size of 17 Gummy Bears and was ecstatic to learn they were just four points; totally worth it.
The “Made to Crave” bible study is just that. It isn’t a diet scheme or weight loss manual; but a study to crave God and not food.  That being said…. It is up to us to pick our own healthy eating plan and I picked Weight Watchers, a program that has been worked very successfully by my mom and my mother in law. I want what they were able to accomplish… set a goal and make it happen by healthier eating and using this program to get there. Today was the first day I attempted the points calculating and even though I am still toying with various options in my profile and plan manager pages, I am having alot of fun plugging in foods and building menus. With all of these tools at my disposal…. how can I let that snack aisle get to me? I am allowed 34 points each day on the program and was given my first goal to reach of 211. I know with His help I will reach it. What does Jesus have to say to encourage me? 
Be bold. Be transparent. Be the spokesperson I created you to be.
I will NOT let Him down.
Lysa’s devotion today said “Nothing changes until we make the choice to redirect our misguided cravings to the only One capable of satisfying them.” The choice has been made. For me there is no other. It’s out there. It is not about me but about Him. And to think that WHEN this works I can do it ALL over again with other friends and they can share with their friends, and they with theirs. Healthier bodies and healthier relationships with Him is a great thing to share.  
Jesus tells a story in Matthew 19 of a young rich man that wants to follow Him. Lysa summed it up as I, too, would imagine it… “I want you to give up the one thing that you crave more than me.” I don’t know about anyone else….but I realized today that there may have been a few things I craved more than Him without even realizing it.
To borrow from the “Crave” definition once more:  I long for Him and desire to be closer to Jesus than ever before. I require more of myself to show Him I am worthy of the love He has for me. I ask earnestly…I beg for help in making the best of this opportunity that has been given to me.
I will be bold. I will be transparent. I will be the spokesperson He created me to be

2 comments:

  1. Gidget, Thank you so much for your posts. You will be an inspiration to me. I am afraid that I am behind as I just signed up for the 21-day challenge and won't get the 1st devotion until tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like our relationships with Him.... you can't be too old, too bad, or too late. So... it is impossible to be "behind" when it comes to your study. Guess my blogs will just be teasers until you "live" it for your own.

    We are on this journey together. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete