Friday, December 3, 2010

Taking the Scenic Route....Again (Gidget's Journey Home.....Part 2)

Super excited to land twenty minutes early on the flight from Santa Barbara to Denver. But, that would be too easy. As the plane taxi’d into the gate, I was excited to text Lylas, hubby, Baby, and Mom; I was now halfway home. My angst in only having forty minutes to rush from one part of the airport to another to catch my connecting flight was lifted and it was off to find my departing gate number.
I was texting and walking at the same time; because I am the ultimate multi tasker, and I realized I overshot the Departure/Arrival boards that inform the passengers where to catch their flight and give us a status of whether or not those flights were on time. I was quick to retrace my steps, looked up Detroit under departures and noticed “Gate C39”. Being in Concourse A, I began traveling in the general direction of everyone else until I found signs directing us like lemmings to the train that would take us to Baggage Claim terminals and Concourses B & C. Whew…. I thought, “Thank God our plane arrived forty minutes earlier than expected or I NEVER would have made my flight on time.” As I was virtually patting myself on the back (not giving you know who any credit), I proceeded to find the plane while walking on the traveling walkway, two escalators, and the train. I couldn’t believe how big this airport was and getting bigger by the moment.

I was happy to apparently get on the right train, find more escalators going up to the Concourse for Detroit, and then the gate…being the last in its row; but I made it with seamless ease and even had time to sit for a bit, sliding my feet out of my shoes…showing everyone my very fashionable toe socks with snowflakes on the tops and each toe sporting a different color. If nothing else, it made people smile for a brief second and I was happy to accommodate; luckily finding a seat that had an empty beside it; Jesus didn’t have any carry-on bags but still needs his own seat ya know.
I was still texting “my peeps” and even talked with Baby for a bit. Was thrilled that I had time to relax a bit and not be rushed as I got ready for my connecting flight home. I joked with mom that with all of the detours and modes of transportation I had to take to get where I was now sitting… was just like my journey to find Jesus; or finally admit he was there all along and finally stop all the running around and say “Okay, okay… I give in. I need you more than I thought I did and can’t do this on my own anymore.” I took detours and was distracted more than I care to admit but I got there; just like finding Concourse C.
(Yummy…. Flight attendant just brought another chocolate chip cookie. Excited to just eat it and no longer worry about staying neat since the last flight pretty much cinched that detail…..P.S. the middle seat next to me is empty. Just a coincidence? I don’t think so.  Lynnette…. I laugh as I think of Cardboard Jesus video on YouTube right now).
As the flight attendant prepared us for boarding, everyone moved to a line that corresponded with their seats on the plane; I followed suit. Funny….we didn’t do that on the last leg but; different airport, different protocol I suppose. I stood in where I thought I should be lined up and asked someone “Are we to be standing in correspondence to where our seats are on the plane?” She said “Yes” with a smile. Another woman asked what my seat number was and I told her. Her husband told me that I should be in the section ahead of them but I wasn’t sure. They took turns looking at my boarding pass until they realized… “Honey, this plane is going to Detroit but you aren’t on it.”
Um….. “I’m not? But Detroit is where I’m headed and it is nearly 7:10.”
“Yes…. But you are flying on Frontier and this is Southwest. You need to go to Concourse A.”
Sheepishly…. “Thank you. I guess I better run.” So, I slipped out of my slip on shoes, grabbed my entirely too full and too heavy pink laptop bag and matching pink purse (also too big and too full) and me and Jesus headed back to where we came from.
I couldn’t believe it. I had just taken two escalators, a traveling walkway, and a train through two concourses….to get TO THE WRONG CONCOURSE. Not just the wrong one but the one FURTHEST from where I was supposed to be; the Concourse I JUST LANDED AT. And now… me and Jesus have to beat feet to catch a train, a traveling walkway and two escalators to catch a flight that was leaving in fifteen minutes. Thankfully Jesus isn’t the “I told you so” kind and was just sitting beside me trying not to laugh; but he knew what was coming next…. I did not have that luxury.
As I climbed the second escalator, I phoned mom to let her in on this comedy of errors but only funny until I miss my flight… “T” minus 12 minutes; she said she would be praying like crazy, of which I had no doubt. 
Insert chunky redhead in crazy toe socks; shoes in hand, big pink bags swinging wildly, wearing a fleece lined winter coat (of course). Definite second thoughts about my decision to pretend the last two weeks with mom were a holiday and the treadmill in the garage was now a place to hang laundry and NOT work out on. Jesus isn’t breaking a sweat but I am miserable…but determined.
We made the train, crossed the traveling walkways, and literally climbed up the escalators trying to make up any time we could. I rounded the corner and the passengers for my section of the CORRECT flight were just boarding. Trying not to breathe too hard but stand there in my best “What are you looking at?” pose, I waited for a few others to go in front of me and casually dropped into line; the right one.
Note to self from previous blog entry: The pilot passed me as I waited to board. He looked alert and carried a pink lemonade. He didn’t smile but he didn’t look like he was in a bad mood either. Looked like a nice guy but definitely not enough information to trust my life to him; yet I followed everyone else to take my seat….getting one step closer to home.
I am thrilled to say that I made the flight home and with no less fanfare than expected. I can only imagine the entertainment value I added in Heaven tonight.
I am certain there was extra popcorn being passed around and Timothy saying to Paul…
“Did that just happen?” 
Paul’s response: “Yep… you CAN’T be surprised at this turn of events. This is EXACTLY how she was meant to start the rest of her life; multi-tasking, crazy, disoriented, happy, hopeful, sharing with her mommy and Lylas….and Jesus right by her side the whole way; not missing a colorful sock filled step.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is too funny! Thank you for the visuals! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete