Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bibles and Black Shoes...You Can Never Have Too Many

Having one bible is never enough; not for me anyway. There are different translations, covers, titles, stories, red letter versions, devotions, concordances, reading plans, study or not study; the list is endless….and I couldn’t be happier.

Though some may wonder…. “Isn’t having one enough, since a bible is a bible and they’re all the same?” There are still others of us that could get a new bible each week and find something fabulous and new in each one; being quick to share the differences with anyone that asks.
I like to use the reasoning that women through the ages have used with their husbands to justify the number of black shoes that live in their walk-in closets. “Yes, I do already own a pair of black shoes; maybe even a dozen, but they all have a purpose and should be treated with the utmost respect.” Okay…perhaps respect is the wrong word in this scenario but each does have a story to tell and holds a place in her heart; even if it is merely to be the perfect shoe worn with her favorite outfit. You have your most comfortable black ballerina flats or another pair with just enough heel to keep those jeans from dragging the pavement. Then there are the boots that go from day to night with just the change of a top and the far from reasonable pumps worm maybe once a year that are high on a shelf in a shoebox waiting patiently to make their appearance.
Bibles are more than 66 books in one to me. It is God’s love letter to us. It is a history book; our history. It is a book that can be picked up at any time, opened to any page and make complete sense. I have an ESV study bible that was picked out by my mommy; a family bible of sorts. No it wasn’t handed down from generation to generation but each member of my family; mom, dad, sisters and their families own the same one. We each have different covers but my mom and dad were like spokespersons for this bible and sold each of us on it quickly and easily. My burgundy leather cover opens up to vellum pages that my pink book index tabs are attached to. Each “chapter” gives a synopsis of what the book is about; who wrote it and when, the theme, and the purpose, occasion, and background; key themes, literary features, and an outline. There are shaded areas that have further explanation below each verse, and maps for further clarification. It even has an online study feature that reads scripture to me as I complete one bible study or another; looking for answers. This bible is my “leave at home, always wide open, online-at-the-ready, truly studying and digging deeper” bible. Because of the weight, thickness, and fragility of the pages it is the only one of my bibles that does not continually get a change of “clothes” and is dragged with me to one class, study, or event but constantly within arm’s reach when sewing or writing in my ministry. It is truly the gift that keeps on giving and my first “real” bible that sparked the interest and “hobby” of adding to my collection; each having their own place “in my heart” but not taken “out” as often just as those special occasion, less than practical pumps in the top of my closet. (Not taken out but definitely much more accessible than those shoes).
 I also have several NIV translations, but just like my collection of black shoes; they all have their own specific purpose. Two of them are Women’s Devotionals but each with different stories and formats that make them specifically unique as well. These are my favorite bibles; both for the translations as well as what they offer inside (aside from the obvious). I love to read the excerpts that are just a page; a story that bring the bible to present life, full of scripture that further illustrates the similarities of today and thousands of years ago. These stories are written by normal everyday women and in one of the bibles always ends with “Women of Destiny……” and a one liner to walk away with. This obviously is my Women of Destiny bible. My other devotional bible also offers a one page story but in the margin has thought provoking questions and additional scriptures to read for diving into the topic further (love that part). My Celebrate Recovery bible is another NIV and my first hardcover (which I have decided I like better….for no specific reason). I love that this one was given to me by mom and the only one that boasts a dedication and signature from her too; a date and personal scripture; “Jesus said to her “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.” Mark 5:34  As an extra gift, the publishers included a scripture of their own that I loooove too; “He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (No surprise that this was spoken/written by Paul whom I didn’t know or follow when I received this gift but one whom I have come to have a secret crush on and, next to Jesus, follow him anywhere). This Celebrate Recovery edition was written specifically for the program started at Saddleback Church in California by pastors Rick Warren and John Baker. It is based on the Beatitudes and “the goal is not simply to recover from past sins and hurts. The goal is to become Christlike in our character.” What’s not to love about that piece of Foreword from Rick Warren? This bible isn’t just about recovery for drug addicts and alcoholics but people whose lives seem out of control. “He knows where we came from, where we stand today, and where we’re going to be tomorrow. And he says: 

-  If you’ve been hurt, “I want to heal you.”
-  If you’re confused, “I want to lead you.”
- If you’ve ever felt helpless to change anything, “I want to help you.”
If you feel worried or afraid, “I want to offer peace to you.”
Isaiah 57:18-19
My NIV translations are my fave, always looked for black shoes; the three or four pair that are reached for every day, that go with anything and are comfortable and always fashionable. These bibles are the ones that are constantly being recovered in my newest style bible covers I make and the scriptures attached always reflect my current “season.” I can’t fathom how many different “outfits” I have for these but between covers and scripture sleeves, I am able to change quickly to match what I may be wearing that day. Love it.
My good friend Lynnette was blessed enough to get out and “bible shop” yesterday. She invited me along and I was so excited to be a part of it but something came up to keep me homebound instead…so I lived vicariously through her. She got to go alone; no hubby or kids. She was able to spend an entire hour in the local Family Christian Bookstore and take her time to pick out the “Bible of her current season.” Listening to her recount her hour long adventure was like being there and to anyone hearing our conversation, I can imagine them wondering what could be so exciting about picking out a book. I love that she got as excited telling me about her exploits as I was to hear them. She found one and then another; amassing a collection of four or five to choose from…various translations and styles but all geared towards women (we happen to share that season right now and I love that too). She opened each one carefully, feeling the weight of the pages, reading introductions and concordances, reading plans and writing style of devotions. She found a spot to sit quietly and pray for guidance… “Is it this one Jesus? Is this the bible for this season?” And, just like walking out of a shoe store with a new pair of black shoes; having the feeling that you “know” you got the right ones with no second thoughts…she found the bible in a new translation, perfect for her season…not knowing how long it will last but knowing that this bible will be THE one to get her through it no matter the length.
 Her afternoon of “bible perusing” made me want to run out and replace the Women of Faith NIV Study Bible that was lost in shipment from California to Michigan. I had to ship home many items I had collected while away for six months; a box weighing 34 pounds and filled to the rim with books and a handmade quilted tote I received from Lynnette for my birthday was among them. The box arrived in perfect condition but weighing just 2 pounds and carrying my precious tote but NONE of my precious books. But apparently these books and tote were not precious enough to purchase a very inexpensive insurance and the USPS is apologetic but not refunding the shipping charge or doing much to find any one of the 15 books that were also inside; two bibles and countless titles ALL relating to Jesus, God, Christ, or Girlfriends. <wink>
Needless to say, the books will be replaced and the bibles when re-purchased will be re-indexed with pink bible tabs (the preferred color of choice) and re-highlighted and re-postited (um…I like colored post-its throughout too). But according to mom I can use this for an opportunity to replace with a new bible from my current season and I already look forward to making my own trip to the Christian bookstore to select my own “new” bible; sure to make a stop at Starbucks before settling in for a while to make more than a purchase of a new bible…but, like Lynnette, make an experience out of it. She took Jesus to the store with her that day and just like a perfect husband would sit beside me in the chair at the shoe store and tell me all of the black shoes I try on are fabulous and understand my need for “just one more pair” – Jesus was with her…telling her that all of the bibles were good but it was up to her to make the decision; Him merely offering his advice on one over another based on the questions she asked him. “Do you think this one fits me best right now?” “Is this one “my color” for the path you have me going on this season?”
Yes… I love my black shoes but give me a choice at shoe shopping or spending an hour with Jesus picking out a new bible and there is no hesitation. It just means we get to stop for Starbucks on the way in addition to our normal coffee time at home – “Yes, please.”

3 comments:

  1. Love this post, you are a true story teller! Shopping with Him was an experience I will treasure this season, every time I sit down to read the Word.

    BTW, love the black pumps at the top, can I borrow them? Tee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brought tears to my eyes! What a friend we have in Jesus! Never enough of Him or His Word! Never enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies... I love anything and everything about Him and what we get JUST by knowing Him. Woohoo.

    The best part? I am a Cheerleader for Him so I get to tell anyone and everyone ALL that He does for me and how they can have it too.

    How awesome is that??? =D

    ReplyDelete