Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day Five: You Don't Mean It


Before You Begin:  Read Matthew 23:1-36
A Warning Against Hypocrisy
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.”
“Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called “Rabbi” by others”
“But you are not to be called “Rabbi,” for you have on Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth “Father,” for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.”
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much of a child of hell as you are.”
“Woe to you, blind guides! You say, “If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath. You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?” You also say, “If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath. You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. And anyone who swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. And anyone who swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it.”
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of yours spices – mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law – justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.”
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside will be clean.”
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.”
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrite! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. And you say, “If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them shedding the blood of the prophets.” So you testify against yourselves that you are descendants of those who murdered the prophets. Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!”
“You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue them from town to town. And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.”
Stop and Consider: “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.”
Questions Asked of Me: How do you think Paul responded to the hypocrisy of the Jews in Jerusalem? How have you reacted in similar situations?
I think he recognized it. He was taught by the Pharisees that Jesus was making mention of. When Saul finished his education in Jerusalem and went home to Tarsus, John the Baptist began to “prepare the way for the Lord” (Matthew 3:3). Saul found influences like the wise teacher Gamaliel, but he also experienced exactly what Jesus was talking about. But what did he DO with that information? I was surprised, and still am quite frankly, that not all Christians LIVE as Christians but merely play the part; some looking the part by attending church every Sunday and having a bible on a bookshelf but what do they DO during the week?
An example of this would be me buying a desk online. It was exactly what I was looking for but too far to ask anyone to drive to pick up. I mentioned this to the seller; telling him where I lived…not an address but across the street from my church in Plymouth, MI. His responding email told me he attended church in Plymouth….MY church. He would be willing to deliver the desk that very weekend. I was excited and nearly ready to set everything up when I mentioned this to Lynnette. She told me that if I WERE going to do something this crazy that I promise to text her as he texted me he was on his way AND to text her the minute he left; not forgetting to text her by getting too wrapped in conversation. I remember her telling me… “Crazy people go to church too” when I told her I trusted the seller of this desk completely because we went to the same church. The transaction went without incident and he was a perfect gentleman. The desk turned out to be awesome and after I painted it….it was even more “me.” BUT…it was a comment that has stuck with me.
In what ways have you been disillusioned by Christians? How would you counsel someone who came to you confessing these types of feelings and disappointments?
I have been disappointed more than a few times by “Christians.” I assume, wrongly… that all Christians live as me, my family, and my friends live. Not to say that we are perfect examples of how Christians should be…by any stretch. Just to say that we talk about Jesus as if he were a friend sitting right next to us and excited to share how He is working for, in, and through us.
If someone confessed having feelings like those I have experienced, I would say simply… that each Christian, like each person…is to be seen as individual. I don’t judge those that are living differently than I feel Jesus is asking me to live but worry about myself and hope/pray that they get to a point where they figure out that saying you are a Christian and living as you have a REAL relationship with Jesus are two ENTIRELY different things. I looooved making that realization and will help anyone in ANY way to make that connection and hope they get that same feeling and it “sticks.”   =)
Detour: I didn’t get an opportunity to write my blog before church today, so I apologize for the lateness of this posting. Of course, like everything else that Jesus has a hand in, I am certain it was no accident. Last weekend was my first service I attended at our “new” church and I was definitely hooked on continuing to attend; despite my not wanting Robbe, or Jesus….to be right again. The pastor that spoke last week told of a class coming up in September called Next Steps so people get an opportunity to meet others from the congregation. He went on to say “I know it can be weird to be in a new place, in a new church, and feel like you don’t know anyone. I also know it would be just downright awkward to go up to someone you don’t know and say “Hi, my name is ___________ and I’m new.”
Well, I decided to DO just that. I brought ten of my Watercolor Ministries composition books to church with me today and I went up to random Ninevite women and introduced myself. “Excuse me…. Hi, my name is Gidget and I’m new to this state and newer to this church…just a couple of weeks.” After seeing their reactions, watching them smile and feel just a bit uncertain, I asked their name and handed them their composition book. I told them that I didn’t have paper to write on at last week’s service and a woman in my row lent me some. Some asked me to tell them more about myself, others laughed and thought it completely crazy that I would do such a thing but they loved the sentiment. With a couple others, I mentioned my wanting to be more involved and disappointed there were no bible studies or small groups and they shared my disappointment. One woman, Debbie, even told me she had been at been at Church on the Move for six years; and even though she recognized faces, there weren’t many faces she could put names to and fewer still the ones she had telephone numbers for. She sits in my row and saves for nearly all of her family members every week. I told her of my need to sit in her row and the same middle seats, like my last church, and she smiled.
THEN….which should come as no surprise, the service was all about DOING. If Jesus gave you the gift of giving, what are you DOING with that gift? If he gave you the gift of serving, what are you DOING with that gift? If he gave you the gift of inviting and you have many to invite, what are you DOING with that gift? We aren’t given our gifts by Jesus to keep on a shelf but to share….how are we sharing them?
If something is important to us….we share it. The pastor went on to say that if he were to come into our homes, he would be able to see what was important to us; how we display it and what we do with it. My husband and I looked at each other, realizing just what he would see if he came to our house….endless books about Jesus and sharing him, angels with inspiring messages, clocks, a framed American Flag that was on Robbe’s father’s casket, and place settings; 16 different ones to be exact. I have these things in my home…..what am I DOING with them? Are they merely taking up space or am I remembering family each time I pass the shelves? Am I reading and sharing what I read from these books about Jesus? Am I using my gift of place settings and hospitality to invite people into my home and be the spokesperson he created me to be?
Just don’t work and do, but share. (Matthew 5:13)
Salt and Light
“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.”
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
Praying God’s Word Today: Father, I know that evil people and imposters will only become worse, deceiving and being deceived. But may I continue in what I have learned and firmly believed, knowing those from whom I learned, and that from childhood I have known the sacred Scriptures, which are able to instruct us for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus, making us complete and equipped for every good work (2Timothy 3:13-17). For even if we are faithless, You remain faithful. You cannot deny Yourself (2Timothy 2:13). Keep me ever close to Your Word, ever close to Your side, my eyes fixed only on Your sinless faithfulness.
            Paul’s Charge to Timothy
“….while evildoers and imposters will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”   2Timothy 3:13-17
Encouragement to be Faithful
Here is a trustworthy saying:
“If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.”   2Timothy 2:11-13

Dear Jesus:
Thank you for having this book about Paul’s journey on faith be on my bookshelves JUST when I needed it. It was quite possibly the best gift my husband could have given me; even if he didn’t realize it at the time. I know there will be those that come into my life that deceive me. I even know that some of them may be dressed as Christians. I love this message given to Paul to share with Timothy. I love that this study and Your Word are helping me to see the faith I once had and the faith I so desperately seek and want back again. No matter what I have felt in these last months or even weeks since moving to Nineveh…. Your feelings and faith in me has not wavered. I am sorry for that. I want to be the salt and light for others and I know that to be that spokesperson, I need to fully live in faith and walk the footwork; it began this morning….and it felt awesome to just be myself; even in Nineveh.

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment