Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day Seven: Initial Witness


Before You Begin:  Read Acts 6:8-15
Stephen Seized
Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people. Opposition arose, however, from members of the Synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called) – Jews of Cyrene and Alexandria as well as the provinces of Cilicia and Asia – who began to argue with Stephen. But they could not stand up against the wisdom the Spirit gave him as he spoke.
Then they secretly persuaded some men to say, “We have heard Stephen speak blasphemous words against Moses and against God.”
So they stirred up the people and the elders and the teachers of the law. They seized Stephen and brought him before the Sanhedrin. They produced false witness, who testified, “This fellow never stops speaking against this holy place and against the law. For we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs Moses handed down to us.”
All who were sitting in the Sanhedrin looked intently at Stephen, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel.
Stop and Consider: “Jews of Cyrene and Alexandria as well as the provinces of Cilicia and Asia – who began to argue with Stephen. But they could not stand up against the wisdom the Spirit gave him as he spoke.”
Questions Asked of Me: What was it about Stephen, do you think, that so infuriated the religious leadership of Jerusalem and the surrounding region?
His words were not his own; perhaps they knew that. Maybe they knew that these words were merely spoken through him but they didn’t want to believe it. They were in a position of either accepting what he said as true or trying to contradict anything he said; they didn’t want, or couldn't do, either. Accepting what he said as true would mean that everything they had believed to that point was not. Contradicting anything that he said meant that they would have to have knowledge that they did not have. Because of their beliefs and insecurities; it was easier for them to put him to death and eliminate him from the equation altogether.
Saul was a Pharisee that was following the events in Jerusalem very closely; messengers running to Tarsus with word of Jesus and now of Stephen. He had learned that Stephen was winning every words war with the Pharisees and thought he had what it took to contradict him and put him in his place before his death.
The speech given by Stephen would change his life forever. (Acts 7:1-53)
We enjoy being linked by as many friends as possible. But what does it perhaps say about us if we don’t have any enemies at all, no one who is ever at least somewhat offended by us?
The first thought that came to mind when reading this question posed by Beth Moore, was Facebook. How many friends we add, almost seems to be a measuring stick; one of TOO much importance to many. I have 131 “Friends” and at this question, even went into my Friends List to see just how many could have been deleted without notice; there were 27.
But the second part of this question is why I decided my Friends List remains untouched.
I can’t think of enemies that I have. I changed my playground when I recognized my life going out of control. I walked away from those bad influences and literally moved to a new city an hour away; now changed to 19 hours away. All of my new friends had at least one thing in common with me; we were Christians and had a very intimate relationship with Jesus; He comes up in nearly every conversation and is our foundation. But what is that saying “Preaching to the choir?” Are we all just filling and refilling each other; not stepping out of our Christian playground to be witnesses for him?
I am surprised at my list of “Friends” on Facebook; some from high school, others are family, most are people I know from church, and there is even my VERY first friend from Kindergarten in the mix….perhaps one of the most surprising.
I post my blogs to my Facebook wall after each entry and the emails I get from those that are reading them and coming across something they know they were meant to read, is nothing short of amazing. I won’t delete those 27 friends that may or may not notice because perhaps, they too, are reading what Jesus gives to me to spill out and even without mentioning to me (which they soooo don’t need to, of course)….Jesus is working in them.
Remember my friend from Kindergarten? She told me just last week that she sees so many similarities in our lives; experiences, trials, and tribulations that she will be checking in daily; perhaps getting just a reminder from Jesus every day that she is not alone and that despite where you are, you can always get back to where He wants you.
What opportunities have you been given recently to profess the goodness and faithfulness of God? How have you handled these situations? How can you be better prepared next time to declare your witness of Him with more natural assurance?
The most recent of opportunities would have to be the move to Nineveh. My husband has secured his dream job in aerospace and followed Jesus obediently in moving here and doing as he knew he should. I, on the other hand, did not profess goodness OR faithfulness in the months leading up to my move to follow him or the few weeks since arriving here. Without knowing it, I had an opportunity to profess my faithfulness in Him just by my actions. I didn’t have to shout from the rooftop or put signs on my car. I merely had to have faith in Jesus and not just move here but be happy and grateful for the opportunities that He has given to us.
After speaking to my dad last night on the phone, I know that my actions don’t have to be big and grand, they just have to be heartfelt and genuine. I don’t have to read the bible for hours each night, I just have to be in His Word every day; seeking ALL that He has to give to me…never hiding from him or throwing my tantrums.
Thanks daddy.
Detour: When speaking to my daddy last night, I told him not to worry because I had not strayed from Jesus or changed my relationship with him BUT perhaps I haven’t been the cheerleader I once was outside of the comfort of my own home; and I have missed that. Daddy reminded me not to just do this but to do it for His glory and not my own. I don’t think I have….but was I? Is that where my faith wandered a bit? Did I somehow make this move and all that was given to us, about me and NOT Him?
I don’t lie to my daddy and I don’t lie to my Father. Their respect, love, and opinion means everything to me. Maybe that is why I haven’t called home to talk to daddy as much as I didn’t pick up my bible; I didn’t want to hear what either had to say because it wasn’t the answer I wanted. I even jokingly told daddy last night on the phone; he told me very succinctly: “That’s not how it works. You need to pick up your bible every day and I want to hear more from you too. I like knowing what is going on in your life and I need to know how your relationship with Jesus is going.” My quick reply was simply “But, daddy, I call and talk to mom every day.” I could “see” his reaction through the phone with 1,200 miles between us. “I know you talk to mom and she always fills me in, but that isn’t good enough, I want to hear from you too.”
Insert Jesus’ “I told you so moment” here.
I know that Jesus was saying the SAME thing. “It isn’t enough for me to know what you are going through, I want to hear it for myself.”
WOW….
I love how a ten minute conversation with daddy AND my Father, can put everything into perspective so quickly and so easily. There is no gray area or room for negotiation. You know what to do….just do it.
Praying God’s Word Today: Lord, Jesus, You have told us that our trying times of persecution are opportunities for us to bear witness to Your name. Fill us with the faith to know that when these moments arise, You will give us such words and a wisdom that none of our adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. Even when betrayed by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends – hated because of Your name – we know that not a hair of our head will be lost (Luke 21:12-18), not without accomplishing Your will and advancing Your glory.
Signs of the End of the Age
“But before all this, they will seize you and persecute you. They will hand you over to synagogues and put you in prison, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all account of my name. And so you will bear testimony to me. But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you the words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. You will be betrayed by parents, brothers, and sisters, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. Everyone will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish.”  Luke 21:12-18

Dear Jesus:
Thank you for the relationship I have with you. Thank you for the relationship I have with my parents and my daughters….without you, I would have neither. I have loved learning your purpose for me and remember practically begging for it in the beginning. I am sorry for the way I have treated these gifts and am definitely excited about being given yet another “do over.”
I have not put myself out there enough for Your glory. I have gotten too comfortable and spoken only of you in circles I know were accepted. Give me the strength and wisdom to get back out there and speak of You always. I am not looking to be hated by parents, brothers, relatives, or friends but I AM looking to put you first and if that happens in the process, so be it.
I know that I cannot fully be a cheerleader of spokesperson for You if I handpick those that I cheer and speak to.
Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment