Monday, August 29, 2011

Day Thirteen: Pride and Prejudice


Before You Begin:  Acts 10:9-28
Peter’s Vision
About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”
This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.
While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.
While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three men are looking for you. So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”
Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?”
The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.” Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.
Peter at Cornelius’s House
The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the believers from Joppa went along. The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”
While talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.
Stop and Consider: You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit with a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.
Questions Asked of Me: Has God opened your mind about some form of prejudice in your life? How has he led you to correct these tendencies? What might happen if you followed through on them?
I used to judge everyone; prejudice aside. I would judge based on handbags or shoes, to paychecks and addresses; no one was safe. I don’t know who I thought I was but Jesus was quick to show me who I wasn’t. I would talk about anyone to make myself look better or feel better about myself. He has humbled me in a way I didn’t think I deserved….in the beginning.
We kept a house for months longer than we should have. He kept showing us in different ways we couldn’t afford it and move on but for whatever reason, we kept shelling out money we didn’t have just to pay the bills, no frills to speak of. When push came to shove, we finally realized that it was more house than we could handle but was it too late? We began selling “stuff” and “toys” we didn’t need; a car that was merely a status symbol for me but sitting in a garage, undriven, Two motorcycles for Robbe; undriven…much and just lending itself to a lifestyle we could no longer afford. Just to name some biggies.
We downsized in the heart of winter to a house half the size; the judging and prejudice of others a thing of the past, but the reality of the humbling affect from Jesus ever present. I felt punished in the beginning but kept telling myself that is what He needed from us.
There was no question “What MIGHT have happened if I followed through on them?” I did follow through on these prejudices I had (all in the PJ era …. Pre-Jesus) but they happened.
I hurt feelings and what I thought would make me feel better about myself in being prejudiced towards people that made less money or wore different brands of shoes…. Actually didn’t. But instead of making that realization, I continued to hang out with those that acted like me, dressed like me, drank like me….and we all know how that turned out.
Just another set of scenarios that makes me wish I had found Jesus sooner. But even THOSE moments will be used for His glory one day. Not my finest moments for sure but if anyone can find a way to use them for something positive…. I am certain Jesus can.
If you knew that prejudice was one of the things blocking your free flow of communication with God and His Word, how much importance would you place on removing it?
I didn’t place any importance on it from the beginning…. I ran from it. I no longer was prejudice against others but I was soooo worried about being the one prejudiced against, I tended to shy away from situations where I felt that was an opportunity….even a bible study or two.
I was worried that walking into a bible study, these Christian women would be able to tell I wasn’t one of them. I was worried that it would be painfully obvious, even though I had a bible in hand, that I didn’t know many of the stories in them; stories that they so readily talked about and nodded to in agreement.
I place the utmost importance on removing prejudice now and even try to do what I can to make others feel at ease when I think they look like I did just two years ago. I know that I was afraid to read my bible and pray to Jesus, feeling less than those He directed me to. I know that even just the feeling or fear of being prejudiced against was enough for me to feel unworthy in seeking knowledge from His Word or communicating directly with Him.
Because I know how that feels; I would never want another to experience that.
Detour: From Beth in her extended reading today: “God had issued Saul an undeniable apostolic calling. He probably assumed his place was with the other apostles. But when he arrived in Jerusalem and tried to associate with them, “they were all afraid of him, since they did not believe he was a disciple” (Acts 9:26). As despicable as he had been, our hearts sting for him a little, don’t they? Perhaps each of us can relate to the unique stab of loneliness.””
I was lonely. In a room full of people that I thought I was “friends” with or thought I was better than…. I was lonely. I had alienated so many people by my prejudices and simply “pre-judging” that many times I had just myself to contend with. I didn’t fit in anywhere and unlike Paul; I didn’t have the backing of Jesus or Barnabus.
I joke all the time about using my powers for good and not evil now but this is just how I see it. I used to be the center of attention for one reason or another; life of the party, drinking the most, dressing the most outrageous, or just having fun and making others wish they were part of the party I was running.
Jesus let me know quickly that I can use that personality for His glory by doing the things He wants others to follow; going to church, being a part of fellowship with bible study or small groups, getting people excited about worship or women’s conference opportunities or just being the first one to be transparent and let others see…they are not alone.
THAT is the best part about being saved by Him…. I didn’t have to change who I was but I had to change the playground and those in it that were not following Him, and I had to change the things I was doing to excess that weren’t in His name. I still got to be the goofball that said and did what was on her heart…but He changed my heart. I still was the one that gets to have fun but it is always in a playground where He picks the playmates.
And you know what?  He has YET to say “I told you so.”
Praying God’s Word Today: Father, I take Your clear Word as a warning when You say, “If you really carry out the royal law prescribed in Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself; you are doing well. But if you show favoritism, you commit sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. (James 2:8-9). I confess my sin of letting tastes and preferences legislate my behavior toward other people equally created in Your image. May I not just realize my fault; may I act on change in attitude.

Dear Jesus:
Thank you for showing me that I have no business being prejudiced of others. I am no better than any of those around me; either then, or now…having a relationship with You. I know what it is like to even feel as if I may be prejudiced against and I am grateful that You showed me quickly that I had nothing to worry about; almost as quickly as the way you humble me at a moment’s notice. There is no better time than time spent with You and I will continue to thank You for Your Word and the parables You share to make things so apparent to us. I am forever grateful for Your love for Paul when no others would trust Him….You did that for me. I am so blessed to have found those letters that Paul wrote throughout the New Testament and I know that You were the reason for me even stumbling across them.
Please help me to continue to not show prejudice to others; not only in my words and actions, but my thoughts. Please continue to show me that we are no better than those we see. Allow me to recognize prejudice in myself and in others and keep me from being too prideful to do anything about it.

Love,


Me

P.S. I know that I can be a handful at times. And I know that You probably get requests like mine every day. But, I want You to know that I DO appreciate all that you have done for me and continue to do for me every day. I am grateful that You do not turn Your back on me even when I get quiet in Your Word or devotion. The people that You have brought into my life this weekend are proof that You have no prejudice against me or my actions of this past month as I literally dragged my feet to Nineveh. Help me to have a heart more like Yours and those you put in my path.
Oh… and thanks for not saying “I told you so”. You were right again when You asked us to continue looking and getting out of our comfort zone of churches. Saving our seats in Row 5, right in the center, was just icing on the cake.
And you know how I love icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment