Friday, August 26, 2011

Day Ten: Change of Plans


Before You Begin:  Philippians 3:12-21
No Confidence in the Flesh
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Following Paul’s Example
All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. For, as I have often told you before and tell you again with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.
Stop to Consider: But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Questions Asked of Me: Saul’s life is a testimony to zeal misplaced and then transformed toward an eternal purpose. How does a sense of purpose play into the activities you perform each day?
I was married to a DJ for ten years; my zeal was definitely misplaced. My only intent and purpose was to have a good time and to get others to have a good time; buying them drinks and then expecting them in return….to excess. My probation officer; yes, I had one… would tell me it was time to use “my powers for good and not evil.” I realized later than I care to admit, that she was only half kidding. She was one of my first peeks into Jesus and the purpose He had for me. As a probation officer she wasn’t allowed to talk about God unless I brought it up first but when I did…. the conversations took on a life of their own. She suggested to me the “Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren but not in a direct, “read the whole book” kinda way. She would make me copies of certain chapters, being sure not to have the title of the book on any of the pages…she wasn’t allowed until I asked.
I was striving to know what my purpose was before I had even accepted Jesus in my heart; before I even had the courage to ask his forgiveness and see what a relationship with Him was like.
Slowly but, maybe not so surely, lol…..I started to realize more of my purpose. I wasn’t to hide from my past but embrace it for Him; letting others know what He is capable of. I treat every day as an opportunity to be transparent for Jesus. I don’t try to bring up my past in every conversation but I don’t shy away from an opportunity to tell what He brought me from. I try to use my powers for good and not evil. Once people wanted to be like me because I was always the center of attention; popular based on the brand of handbag I carried, the shoes I wore, or drinking to oblivion to forget worries of the day or week. Now I try to be the cheerleader, putting Jesus as the center of attention. I don’t care about designer handbags or shoes but let my bible covers, coffee sleeves, and totes stand out with their crazy designs and awesome messages ALL from Him.
Yes….my purpose is to use the personality for good and not evil….EVERY DAY.
If you’re regularly suffering from a lack of purpose and meaning, does the problem lie with the things you’re doing or with the way you’re doing them? Or both?
Both. Definitely both. When I suffer from my “lack of purpose” I know it is because I am not living to my full potential. Knowing the purpose He has given to me but NOT living it. Or wavering on my purpose but being a cheerleader for myself instead of where it needs to be; in Jesus.
I must add, in true Gidget fashion, it isn’t every “regularly suffering” but something I definitely need to keep in check and be reminded of. My friends and family never have a problem sharing their insights with me when THAT happens.
Of the things Christ has saved you from, what are some of the most significant? If He hadn’t come along when He did, what might you have become? Where might your doubts and determinations have led you?
THE most significant is saving me from myself! I always thought I knew what was best for me. I survived breast cancer so I had every right to “Party like a rock star” right? I did everything to excess; living, drinking, shopping, and even working. I wanted to be the best at everything I did and in some instances….I was; maybe even too good. But the problem was that I never wanted to be the best Christian, wife, daughter, or mother I could be and THAT is what was the most significant thing that Jesus saved me from; a life without an amazing husband, great parents and sisters, and ALL three of my daughters.
If Jesus hadn’t come along when He did, I wasn’t far from becoming lonely. Lonely because all I knew was fading. My so called friends turned and ran in the opposite direction when the DUI arrived and the pocketbook at the pub departed. My marriage was a mess because a DJ without a DJ wife that encouraged that crazy behavior and drunkenness was not welcomed in any establishments. My daughters had washed their hands of me and my immature, partying, lying, and mean ways. My job had just been eliminated due to the rough Michigan economy.
My doubts and determinations would have led me right back to what I knew. After the probation and court drama was over, I would have been back in the bar with the same “friends” and same husband; enabling me to get back to the “fun” Gidget. I would have chosen all of those stroking my ego over my own family; parents, siblings, and daughters. “I had gotten by this long without them….I would be just fine with my comfortable surroundings I had known this long” right??
I had slid into that pit and loved it….had Jesus not come along when He did, I would have dove into it proving to everyone that was all I was good for.
Thank GOD that didn’t happen and Jesus has given me all the opportunities He has.
Praying God’s Word Today: You, Lord God, the One who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and life to those who walk on it – You have called us for a righteous purpose, and You will hold us by Your hand (Isaiah 42:5-6), leading us where You desire. May my desire be Yours, and may I follow faithfully, directing my zeal and passion for holy, eternal purposes.
            Isaiah 42:5-6
This is what God the Lord says – he who created the heavens and stretched them out, show spread out the earth and all that comes out of it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it; “I the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles….

Dear Jesus:
You and I both know what you pulled me from, and thanks to this blog and the strength that you give to me to be transparent for your glory….so do those that read it. I don’t like to think about where I would be right now if You hadn’t shown up when You did. I am glad that this bible study, this journey with Paul …. is asking me these questions to remember just where I was and how grateful I need to be for where I am now; not just emotionally but physically, here in Nineveh. I know what it is like to live zealously for the wrong purpose. Help me to remember my purpose and direct my zeal to where it is always supposed to be… for Your purpose. My passion for You is not a phase but a lifestyle and a relationship. Please remind me to share that passion with others ALWAYS and not just when things are going as I think they should. I should know well enough by now that EVERYTHING You and I have been through has been for the greater good and I appreciate that; I am grateful for that....

......I am faithful in that.

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment