Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day Fourteen: Season of Suffering


Before You Begin:  Read 2Corinthians 11:22-33
Paul Boasts about His Sufferings
Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham’s descendants? So am I. Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying. In Damascus the governor under King Aretas had the city of Damascenes guarded in order to arrest me. But I was lowered in a basket from a window in the wall and slipped through his hands.
Stop and Consider:  I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers.
Questions Asked of Me: Have you been through seasons when it felt like the floodgates were open, when trouble was coming from all directions? What do you think God expects of us in times like these?
I think everyone has but, speaking personally… OH, have I ever. Not everyone has the literal “Coming to Jesus” moment that leads to complete surrender but that is exactly where I was; and it was the floodgates wide open and broken off that humbled me and brought me to my knees. And I think that is what God expects.
Don’t get me wrong; accepting Jesus does not mean that those floodgates don’t ever reappear but it DOES mean that WHEN they do…I am not alone. It DOES mean that He will give me the tools and resources and people….to get through it; to get through ANYTHING. One of these days, via this blog, I will share my story completely…in living color and HD as to the extent of those floodgates and just how amazing a relationship with Jesus is at times like that….no matter how long those times last; minutes, days, weeks, months, or years.
Having been there, what are the best ways to help others who are going through their own odysseys of suffering? Think of someone who could use your encouragement today.
Leading by example. Jesus did it for Paul, Paul did it for me, perhaps I can do it for someone else. It is always easier to jump after seeing someone else jump. Since finding Jesus, I have realized that part of my purpose is to be transparent and to help others see the intimate relationship that is possible with Jesus and what can be attained through that relationship. It is hard to open up, especially when you aren’t sure how that honesty will be received. BUT the best way to help others who are going through their own sufferings is to share the sufferings, and their results, that you have also been put through but use the outcome for His glory.
Praying God’s Word Today: I rejoice today that You are protecting us by Your power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time, though now for a short time we have had to be distressed by various trials. May the genuineness of our faith – more valuable than gold, which perishes though refined by fire – result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1Peter 1:5-7)

Dear Jesus:
No one knows more than You just how much I rejoice and what I have had to rejoice over. The power of Your salvation has been life-changing for me; and I don’t say that lightly. I love how Beth Moore clarifies our time on earth is “a short time we have had to be distressed by various trials”….making our issues seem so miniscule and small. They are …even if they don’t feel so miniscule as we go through them. I personally know that I have You to thank for that.
You know my trials. You were there when those floodgates opened, and opened wide. But You knew the results and were worried about none of it. As much as I would like to know the ending of all my trials AND triumphs, I guess it is good enough to know You know the ending and it all works out for a reason.
No matter the season; fair weather or dark….You have it all under control and I WILL have genuine faith in You; for myself and as an example to others that are weathering their own season.

Love,


Me


No comments:

Post a Comment