Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day Eight: What a Difference a Decimal Point Makes


Today was my first weigh in; Day 7 of the Made to Crave 21 Day Challenge. I walked into Curves, sneakers in hand, and made a bee-line for the back of the gym where the digital scale awaited. I tried to be nonchalant as I approached; unsure of which way the numbers would go…remembering the gummy bears and occasional spoonful of peanut butter.  I stepped on the scale and thankfully it wasn’t like the crazy, jumping numbers on the Biggest Loser, but got straight to the point…..Drum roll please….. the digital numbers locked in at 220.2. After doing the math (223 – 220 = 3) I was good with the three pound weight loss. Not as much as I hoped for but, let’s face it… I wasn’t giving as much as I knew I could; not the case anymore with twice a day workouts.
I texted Lynnette before even beginning my workout to let her know the news. I promised her that she would be the first to know, except for Cardboard Jesus looking over my shoulder, of course. And, as a best friend does, she replied with the perfect response: “Good job! Muscle weighs more than fat… You are building muscle. : )” THAT is why I love her. Next text went to hubby in Oklahoma: “Congratulations. Great start. Keep up the good work. Love you.” And ya know what? If I had gained 3 pounds they would have been just as positive and proud of me for making the effort and giving my body as a living sacrifice, regardless of the numbers on the scale.
Because of the time difference between Michigan and California, and only that reason, mom was the last to know the news but I was elated to phone her and get the skinny on how Weight Watchers and weigh-ins work. She was proud of me but told me to be sure to use the point. Huh? She said that even a 0.2 weight loss was better than any weight gain. “But I just rounded the numbers to get my weight loss.” Apparently Weight Watchers uses the decimal point and guess what, so does Curves; so…. when I added the little dot, my weight loss skyrocketed. Okay, perhaps that is a bit lofty but I did go from 3 pounds lost to 3.6, and that means almost 4 in my mind.   =)
I am a Christian. I have an amazing relationship with Jesus and name drop him whenever I get the opportunity; sometimes even making them. But that doesn’t mean that a bit of friendly competition is out of the question, right? I love challenges that keep your momentum up and love getting goals given to me that I need to “step up” to make happen. When Lysa started a sentence of her devotion today with “I challenge you….” I literally perked up at my laptop.
“Today I challenge you to start a new cycle of making God your focus rather than food. Each time you crave something you know isn’t part of your plan, use that craving as a prompting to pray. I crave a lot. So I’ve found myself praying a lot.”
I am trying to follow Lysa’s example by being transparent, being bold, and stepping up to the challenge of making God my focus rather than food. The gummy bears are now part of the witness protection program and the peanut butter has left the building.
Don’t get me wrong; I am not craving carrot sticks and I have to trick myself into eating vanilla yogurt by adding Grape Nuts but there is a prize at the end of this journey and quitting is not an option. “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” James 1:12
When I work out I think about the prize, giving 110% every time, even though today was a bit tougher and I walk a little slower up the stairs to the shower. I do my best to work out as if my Cardboard Jesus really was looking over my shoulder or standing in front of me with the stopwatch.
“No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it.” Hebrews 12:11
Guess what? On the Weight Watchers program that I am on… I can have ALL the fruit I want!
Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment