Monday, March 14, 2011

Day Twenty: It's All in the Jeans.....(those genes too)


Throughout this study, I have been trying to pray more and be more willing to listen to what He tells me, in whatever medium He wants to tell me. I have been very receptive to where Lysa is leading us and I understand why she wants us to focus on what we do instead of putting the focus where it doesn’t belong…pleasing our tummies and not our hearts. Let’s face it; an extra slice of cake makes the emptiness go away in our gut but it can’t replace what Jesus fills in our hearts. He is just as immediate as our chocolate treat but lasts so much longer (without any crazy calories). What’s not to love? I promise to apologize to my Cardboard Jesus later for the comparison to chocolate cake but I am certain he knows it was absolutely necessary to make my point.
Many years ago, probably six or seven now… I had an opportunity to try out for the Biggest Loser via a local radio/TV station. It was truly a “cattle call”. We were instructed to call in to get the secret location of where the “go see” would be held. I was elated to see what I could do. Knowing it would probably be all about a “gimmick” I had a football jersey made; the call letters and numbers of the station with my name “GIDGET” across the back, along the top. We entered a room, six at a time sitting at a long rectangular conference table with four others from the radio/TV station facing us from the other side. They asked us questions about health and why we wanted to participate in this contest; aside from the obvious about losing weight and wanting to learn healthier eating habits. This must have been some of their only answers because when it came to a few people in front of me to answer….they looked at the judges with glassy eyes and had nothing new to add. I was quite proud of my goals; being comical but completely true. I said “I want to be able to zip up my jeans without lying on the bed and tuck my shirt in so people can actually see a belt if I decided to wear one.” At the time my jeans were more than a little snug and even when finally zipped were the most uncomfortable jeans forcing my excess tummy to the top. If that is the epitome of muffin top, my muffin was extra full.
Lysa shared her story of skinny jeans today. The definition of skinny jeans being the ones that used to fit … “when we were skinny” and have kept in the closet waiting to see the light of day again one day. She was happy to get into them but was telling how getting into the skinny jeans shouldn’t be our source of happiness. (Whew… I can be happy despite having ten pair of jeans in my closet in various states of fitting; a couple that still have tags and have been “Reward Jeans” for months.)
After I read this in her devotion today I asked myself; “Self…. What is linked to your happiness?” Things are great but they could be better if _____________________.” Yeah, I had some things that I could feel that line with:
…Alyssa would visit, Anja would check in more, or Baby would come back home.
…my husband’s job that he loves doing; was in Michigan and not 15 hours away in Oklahoma.
…chunky didn’t run in my family; seemingly skipping my middle sister but we love her anyway.
I do find joy in everything I do…honest. But if my happiness is not contingent on other things benefitting me, how could I fill in the blank in the statement above?
“The joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10
Oh…. Cool, thanks Nehemiah. That’s a completely random scripture to just pop in my head. Not so random from where He sits though… I know.
I want to experience all this bible study has to offer and feel that THIS time the journey to weight loss is truly that; a journey.
Journey:
-       Noun
1.    a traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time.
2.    a distance, course, or area traveled or suitable for traveling.
3.    passage or progress from one stage to another.
I have read it often and written about it a few times…but am reminded of the trek the disciples made across the Sea of Galilee.
In the middle of everything the disciples faced, Jesus came to them. They didn’t recognize him at first and were hesitant in asking him into the boat; just as I put him off so many times before the BIG transformation. But…when they did recognize him and they let him into the boat….it was a decision that saved their lives and allowed them to get to the new place that God intended. If God sent them, then he was also committed to their destiny and would release all of the resources necessary for them to get to the other side. When God directs us in a way that leads us into transition, He has already committed Himself to come to us when we reach unstable waters.
I am committed to my destination of 175 pounds; to fit into the smallest of my jeans patiently waiting in my closet, ready to make their presence known. God is committed to my destiny and will release all the resources necessary to get me to the other side.Those jeans are suitable for traveling and they are excited as I am about the possibility of making the trip to North Carolina to the She Speaks conference…meeting the author of the book that made it possible; if nothing else….being a “How to” book for craving Him and not all of the things that made those jeans a forgotten friend in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment