Monday, November 15, 2010

I Wanna Be Like My Mom When I Grow Up

Cheerleader – Motivator – Encourager – Raiser Upper – Praiser – Mentor
Mom and Dad - 1978(ish)
Guess Cheerleader for Jesus is in my genes  =D


I had an opportunity this weekend to work a booth at a local church craft show with my mom. She does amazing things with photography in various mediums with art; and then incorporates scripture to each of her pictures, calendars, greeting cards, or bookmarks that are truly “Inspired by God”….the name of her ministry. It was her way of getting God’s message to those that were excited to see it or came to the show not knowing what they would find but looking for inspiration; mostly to copy and make something of their own. But my mom; Inspired by God….inspired many that crossed her path. She was an example of what I want to aspire to be in my life as a Woman of Faith and it immediately “inspired” me to read Titus as we waited on those that Christ led to Booth #14.
Titus is more than the 58th book of the bible, and at just three chapters long should be read as a daily reminder…before work, before breakfast, before a day of shopping with the girls, before school, or before your “regular” daily devotions and prayer time with Jesus. Titus was a Greek Christian left behind in Crete where sin was more than a little problem. So, when Paul decided it was time to move on and continue his mission, he knew his work wasn’t done but trusted Titus to continue the good work he had started. The book of Titus is a letter of encouragement from Paul to Titus to encourage him and to give him guidance in instructing the new believers of Crete. This book contains sound advice for anyone involved in the work of encouraging others, whether within our own families or within a larger circle of ministry. Paul reminds Titus and us that we, too, were once like the Cretans, ignorantly wallowing in our sin. It is only through Christ’s mercy that we have the hope of eternal life. It’s a perspective that reminds us that Paul’s words apply to us as much as they do to those we are discipling.
Maybe it was the name of my mom’s booth complete with purple banners and her logo “Inspired by God” abounding but other vendors welcomed us. We have never participated in a show before yet everyone thought we knew what we were doing. Conversations were started over one picture or another and always ended with a smile even if they didn’t purchase for their own. An older woman beside us sold things she knitted by hand and loom…only selling one thing the entire weekend BUT she was soooo encouraging. She was as elated to be next to us as we were to her. She was a Christian and excited to talk about church and family in between waves of patrons over the two days.
I loved reading Titus 2 and being encouraged and instructed exactly what to do. Sure; the advice was give to Titus thousands of years ago as guidance for new Christians but with the bible in my lap, watching my mom interact with our new neighbor, I couldn’t help but smile as I read Titus 2:3-5 “Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
No…she wasn’t married and offering marriage advice or telling mom how to live as a Christian or be even busier at home…but her heart was open and sincere; even offering to teach me to knit. She was a fellow vendor but so excited and joyful to be treated with respect; a true friendship was formed. My mom didn’t know it but she was being watched and leading by example. (Note to self: People could be watching (or reading) me without my knowledge. What kind of example am I setting?)
God never intended for us to figure things out on our own – to simply “get by.” Just as he gave Ruth to Naomi and Mary to Elizabeth, God gives us each other to help, encourage and provide one another with companionship, to share ideas and wisdom and humor. To be a mentor doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be older in years. One can be more mature as a Christian, or a mom, or a teacher, or leader of the community without having age as a factor.
As mom’s we lead by example and are role models to our children. Are they good examples? I know that mine weren’t but Jesus tells me it isn’t too late. I was a great mom when my girls were little but then, somewhere along the way, I became selfish and forgot what my role was as a parent. I was pretty hard on my mom for the way I was raised and blamed her for whatever wrongs I could…even on my way out the door for the last time. But…she continued to let me run my own life even though it was spiraling out of control; at its worst I just stopped calling so she never knew the details of just how bad it was. But she continued to pray and have faith that even though she didn’t know what I was going through…Jesus did. She had faith that even in my rough spots I wasn’t alone. And even though I didn’t “see” her…she set an example for me. She set an example that I must now try to emulate with my own daughter; just like me…the oldest and doing her own thing. So now, like my mom, I pray and wait by the phone or computer; hoping that she will reach out to me when she is ready. I know that Jesus is with her even though she has no interest in either one of us . I didn’t… and I turned out all right.  =)

I’m a cheerleader and a raiser upper. I am a fan and encourage any that cross my path. I didn’t think Jesus could use me because of my sketchy past and yet he uses it ALL. I was a cheerleader, motivational speaker (breast cancer), writer, and fashion designer. Only Jesus could use them all for one purpose…HIS. I had issues with alcohol and over indulgence. I used to feel entitled to all that was given to me and now I appreciate ALL that is given to me.  
Psalm 40:1-3 “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.”
Psalm 40:9-10 “I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly; I DO NOT SEAL MY LIPS, LORD, AS YOU KNOW. I DO NOT HIDE YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS IN MY HEART, I SPEAK OF YOUR FAITHFULNESS AND SAVING HELP. I DO NOT CONCEAL YOUR LOVE AND YOUR FAITHFULNESS FROM THE GREAT ASSEMBLY.”
I had to capitalize the last part because in reading it today I actually giggled at just how true it was. This could be the Mission Statement for us Cheerleaders for Jesus (Ahem… Janet and her pom poms knows what I’m talkin’ about ).
It’s never too late to lead by example. Even if you mess up today…start over tomorrow. THAT, in itself is showing that anyone can hit the reset button and try again.

I never wanted to be like my mom growing up and I did everything opposite of her just to prove my point. If you would have told me that I would be President of the Paul Fan Club a year ago…I would have asked “Paul who?” I know we are all to have Christ as our example but we can easily say that there is no way we can do that. After all… He IS the word. We can’t attain that level of perfect. But….Paul was a guy. A regular guy that had some serious flaws and God used him in amazing ways. He was the epitome of encouragement and didn’t just tell people “Good job.” He continued to praise them and raise them up. He told them to continue doing good work. “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 He wasn’t just an encourager but trained others to encourage as he was doing. It is not enough to be the cheerleader but to “encourage” others to cheer beside you.
You never know who is watching (or reading) you. What message are you sending? Is it enough for me to be transparent? I know it is risky to put myself out there and expose myself to those that may want to use my words against me but this is my journal of my journey with Jesus every day. The world as I see it…the way He sees it through me.
“Then I said, “Here I am, I have come – I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart.” Psalm 40:7-8

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lyla, Another great post and a perfect one to start my day as I go and mother little one year olds. I try to see my faith in their eyes and keep my mind focused on His kingdom and His eyes, hands, feet and love. As mothers we try to do our best. I too have failed at times with my actions, my words, and my lack of faith. "They still make erasers on pencils!" Brads favorite"Failure is not final!" Quotes like these remind us to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and keep on trying. With Gods grace and mercy we are being transformed and renewed to look more like Him. Gidget, I see Jesus and you have His heart. We are all work in progress. Keep cheering loud! Others can hear and what a team. Just think of the Homecoming!!! Thanks for your transparency and putting your thoughts to words! Love your DJ friend and co cheerleader, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say...EXCEPT..I Love You and keep on Cheerin Kid! Just remember what God said over and over, "Never will I leave you, NEVER will I forsake you"....Neither will I.
    With Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete