Sunday, November 7, 2010

Superheroes and Sidekicks


Yesterday I was in the post office; excited to be sending things home in boxes with me soon to follow. While I waited in my pile of boxes, I was surprised to see the “Green Lantern” walk through the door and take his place in line behind me. Okay, so it was a guy about 80 wearing a Green Lantern t-shirt, but still a surprise for a Saturday afternoon in a small California town. I don’t know what was more disturbing; the site of a spry older gentleman wearing a bright green t-shirt with just the Green Lantern logo on the front; or me for knowing exactly which superhero he was representing. But I digress…
His appearance, and the wait before stepping up to the service counter got me to thinking; if this REALLY was The Green Lantern and he was no longer fit and muscular and saving the world against our enemies and he was now older and feeble and unable to fight our battles; who would people be turning to? Growing up we had role models ranging from teachers to firefighters, actors to policemen, and parents to superheroes. Who was yours?

I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember but then reality set in and I wanted something that paid better; not looking for a fulfilling job but one that would “make me somebody”. Oddly enough, now… I am probably the most over educated housewife on the planet with five degrees and a phone that does everything but make coffee but I couldn’t be happier than doing what I do now; attending bible studies and small groups, volunteering at my church, sewing for my ministry, raising money for breast cancer walks, writing (blog and book), selling Avon (just for fun), and doing crafts. The pay sucks but the benefits are better than I have ever had, not to mention the hours. I am done by 5pm no matter what and I get to enjoy time with my husband when he gets home from work.
Even as kids we went to church but things were different then. We went because we had to and not because we were seeking a relationship with Him. Jesus was never someone I looked to for a role model or even a person that I could relate to. But now…. it is quite a different story. There are plenty of role models in the bible and you don’t have to look very far. I knew that I wanted to write about superheroes when I ran into one at the post office but the service at Mom’s church this morning sealed the deal when he spoke about “Model Servants” and my fave disciple was mentioned…I love Paul; but what’s not to love?
The pastor was talking from Philippians and the gist is this: Paul is under house arrest (no joke) and he can’t get to Philippi himself but while he was under house arrest, he had two men that did everything for him that he was unable to do; Timothy and Epaphroditus. Timothy the Minister and Epaphroditus the Missionary. So he sends this letter to the Philippians to let them know “Hey, I can’t be there but I send you these two guys that got my back and care for you.” “I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I may be cheered when I receive news about you. I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with is father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. And I am confident in the Lord that myself will come soon.” Philippians 2:19-24
The pastor today said it better than I could have imagined myself as I was sitting there, literally on the edge of my seat, trying to put into words…my theory for a trusty sidekick. If you think that Christ is too hard to emulate. If you think that it is truly impossible to be more like him so why try….Paul is telling the church of Philippi; live like these guys – Timothy and Epaphroditus. “If your excuse is that it is too hard to be like Christ, use these two regular guys as examples because they are living it.”
Yes… Jesus was the original superhero; given to us to lead the way by example. But he also made disciples of men; not to just lead the way but to reproduce others to do the same. THAT is what Paul did. Just as God gave us Jesus, Paul was giving the Philippians a guide in Timothy and Epaphroditus. Put yourself in a position where God’s word is being poured into us…a constant stream. Hang around the superheroes that are living the Word as it was intended to be lived. According to Paul, Timothy was qualified, concerned, focused, and experienced. He learned that from following Paul, who learned that by following Christ. Shouldn’t we find our own superhero in a circle of Christian friends that has that relationship we want? Isn’t imitation the biggest form of flattery?
While I was growing up, I wanted to be a teacher. When I went to college the first time, I wanted to be a clothing designer or a buyer for a large department store. Then when I went to college the second time I wanted to pursue writing and public relations. But after that, when I realized that this life isn’t about me, I started to follow Him. I watched other people in my church, and am still watching. I learn from my parents and even when we are 2500 miles apart, they lead by an example I want to follow; as Christians, as parents, as husband and wife.

The superheroes today don’t posses super powers or wear capes to work; the utility belt with an array of toys is not worn to hold up their pants….and we don’t need a spotlight in the sky to communicate and ask for help; it is so much closer than that.
What does it take to be a good superhero? Qualified, Concerned, Focused, Experienced. Paul spoke this of Timothy in Philippians. He trusted him with the care of the people that meant so much to him. He was happy to send the help that Timothy would provide and was happier still to learn of the good news that he would share with him. Timothy traveled with Paul for ten years; followed him through the thick and thin and never once left for his own personal gain. He didn’t leave to start his own church or fulfill his own agenda but did whatever was asked of him by Paul; just as Paul did for Jesus and continued to do until his last days; never once being afraid of the consequences that being a Christian came with.
I can’t imagine what old superheroes would look like or having to rely on them for the continued strength and support we need. I know that the only superhero I was meant to use as a role model was Christ himself and if that is too unattainable; Paul tells us simply “Follow these two regular guys. They did it.” Who needs a superhero when we have the bible full of promises directly from God and those he put in the positions to fill us and keep us constantly full so that we may share with others and go back to the well for more.
The bible is full of "Cheerleaders for Jesus" and I love that I can pick which one I want to be each time I open the cover. Maybe I will have to don a cape instead of the pom poms one day….just to mix things up a bit.  Hmmmm……


No comments:

Post a Comment