Saturday, November 13, 2010

I Wish I Would Have Tried Harder

How many conversations have started with “If only I had done…….”  or “I should have, could have or would have had......” or “Next time it will be better because…….”
Being a Christian doesn’t eliminate doubt although it should because acting more like Christ eliminates doubt and replaces it with faith. I do practice faith as best I can but, let’s face it…it is nowhere near “Christ-like.” I have selective faith just like I try to have a relationship with God in an advisory capacity; it doesn’t work. God did just fine before I came along and He doesn’t need me to pray to him with tips… “Dear God… it would be really great if my oldest daughter would talk with me; it’s nearly been two years. (He knows exactly how long it’s been). I know it is in your time BUT if you could make it sometime before May when I hear she is getting married, that would be pretty great….Amen.” Having faith that He will get her to come around does not mean following it up with “….but you’re probably busy and since my other daughter has come around; that should be good enough for now. Sorry to bother you.”
I was watching a TV show this week and it was pretty non-descript through the entire show. I recorded it and zipped through commercials to watch an hour long program in 40minutes. It was your regular “Whodunnit” series, trying to catch a bad guy but within the storyline there was an underlying relationship similar to mine. A father was not around much and his son resented him. He was in the military and left him and his mother to fend for themselves much of the time until his mother died of breast cancer. The son blamed him for not being there and sending the token birthday card when he remembered. But…the part that hit me was when the father died. Federal Agents were to find the killer of his father and in doing so, questioned the son. He received a birthday card which went unopened until the agents found it in the trash and looked inside; of course to unlock the missing piece of the puzzle to find the elusive killer. Inside was a photograph of the father and son taken probably ten years earlier with nine very impacting words written across the back:
I Wish I Would Have Tried Harder
Love, Dad
I was barely paying attention to the show or much of the story but that last scene took me by surprise; so much so that I rewound the recording and paused on the back of this picture. How many times have I thought those words with regards to my daughters? How many different ways did I wish I could say the same things to each of them? I’m sorry never seemed to cut it and anything else seemed just as contrite and meaningless. At what point did I think it was too late to try and turn back the clock and figure it was better to chalk it up to “It is what it is” and leave the ball in their court? Hoping?
(Then:  9, 10, 11      -      Now:  19, 20, 21)
I know that God is doing amazing things in my life and that all of those things that are happening are a direct result of the relationship I have with Him. He is an amazing God and still considers me a “Work in Progress.” (whew) I do live with regret for many of the things I have done in my life and work at mending those relationships and righting those wrongs with strength that he gives me. I hold fast to my fave apostle, Paul’s words to the people of Philippi and know that, even though I slip and doubt and question and wonder…He will be there to get me through it just like a first grader asking “Why is the sky blue?”
“Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.” Philippians 3:13-15
My eyes are on the prize. I do not run from my past but He assures me it is the past and I no longer need to worry about it. What’s done is done and it is up to me to move forward for the reward he has for those who love Him. I know to follow him means that I will be able to write something different on the back of a picture one day:

I feel I failed you when it mattered most.
I left but I tried to come back for you.
When Jesus hugged me and didn’t let go…. 
you were the first things I looked for to share it with.    
I love you and will spend the rest of my life showing you
how hard I tried to get you to love me back.
Love, Mom.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...this is amazing and hit me hard...different situation, but have had many of those same regrets. Am learning not to live in regret, and to stop beating myself up about things God not only forgave but forgot "as far as the East is from the West" a long time ago. I have forgiven someone the ultimate betrayal...but forgive me? Sometimes not so much. I now realize that when I do that, I am making it about me, and not honoring that part of my relationship with Him.
    Thank you for this post.
    And by the way....I watched that episode of NCIS...cried like a baby at the end when the kid opened the card!
    Love you, Lyla! Counting the days till you're back in Row 5! And by the way, Daughter "21 now" sure does look like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post which each of us can relate. Who hasn't danced with the coulda, shoulda,woulda sisters at some point. But our past is just that and cannot be rewritten. We can only go forward and ask God for His mercy to carry on for Him. I love how you are doing this for Him and He will take you down the narrow path and make your ways straight. He already has and all of these "works in progress" that we are, will learn all of His profound ways of straightening us out through bloggs like yours. Thank-you for your transparency and willingness to share your loving heart! Sold out Lyla! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet.... THANK YOU.

    I am thrilled to be able to be so transparent in Him. There was a time that I had so many secrets that I couldn't remember who I told what to and sometimes forgot to try and remember.

    To be in this place now is truly a God Thing and I am elated to expose all that He does in me daily...even when it doesn't paint me in the most flattering way. I have learned that he doesn't just love me in spite of my past...but especially for it. If He can love me that way, I can only hope that others accept me for what He has made me and can learn from my "oops" moments or the ones that He praises me for.

    I look forward to telling another testimony to share the story He finishes in me and another He begins.

    Thank you for finding me online and continuing to read my blogs. You just never know what he will put on my heart each day.

    Gotta love that Jesus. He loooooves surprises. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni....thank you. I love that she looks like me although I think she may feel otherwise.

    It is sooo hard to forgive ourselves even though we truly do our best to forgive others so much quicker. It was my inability to forgive myself that detained my relationship with Jesus. I thought "If I can't forgive myself, how can HE forgive me for ALL that I have done?"

    But he does forgive and shows us how to embrace that which we need to be forgiven for. I would love to say that he is using my "good parts" for his glory but let's face it... he isn't. I don't get to tell people the good points from my past over and over....He is truly using my "Life in the Pits" to show what he is capable of and that's the way it works.

    THAT is why I humble myself and put it ALL out there for anyone to read. There are many pageviews on my blog and I can't begin to account for them all. I get random emails from people thanking me for one entry or another. Maybe even my husband's ex wife is reading and seeing all of my flaws and basking in our past struggles. Perhaps one daughter has shared with another and my oldest is seeing I have changed and it isn't just a ploy to get in her good graces. Maybe it is someone that doesn't think they matter and what they are going through is completely the first time ANYONE has gone through it....highly doubtful.

    I thank you ladies for checking in with this Cheerleader daily. And I thank you for the friendships you offer because He told me you would be there and yet... I was still in disbelief.

    He got tired of saying "I told you so" over coffee so now he just winks over his cup and has a grin that suggests "I'm not going to say anything but will think it and smile."

    He ROCKS!!

    ReplyDelete