Thursday, November 4, 2010

Representing the Brand


I had no idea each time I spent hundreds of dollars on a designer purse or sunglasses that I was becoming such a fashionista. I just knew that I was worldly but thought it was a good thing. I was showing everyone that I had “stuff” and pretending I was better than they were; even believing it in most cases. I judged people based on “who” they wore or what they drove and based success and happiness on the things I could attain and others couldn’t.
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.”  Romans 12:2-3
Even after becoming a Christian I still cared more about things I knew I had to give up. It was even harder than being worldly before Christ because now I knew better and the thought of knowing what to do and the act of actually doing it….were impossible.
The economy was bad and we were unemployed. We had prayed that He would expand our territories and then the option of a move was plopped in our lap. It was scary and things needed to be sold in order to make it happen. Sad to admit; I was fine with my husband selling his things in order to get money for deposits and monthly bills still piling up; me intent on keeping my “stuff”, That’s only fair right? I prayed about it and could hear Jesus loud and clear; “What do you think?” with the thickness of disappointment lingering.

I don’t drive anymore. I haven’t in two years. I don’t drive, yet I still had my bright yellow New Beetle in the garage;  complete with personalized license plates. Talk about representing the brand… the brand wasn’t even just the car type or outrageous “look at me color”. I had to take it a step further with the vanity plates. Yeah…I did that. And even though I knew what I had to do for our family to “expand our territories” I didn’t even offer to sell my beloved  punch buggy and when my husband said that we were keeping it “just in case I changed  my mind and wanted to drive one day” I agreed it was a good plan. God on the other hand…knew I needed some encouragement to do the right thing.
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
My husband sold a welder on CraigsList to someone locally. When he came to the house to pick it up, he noticed my yellow prize in the garage and asked about it. My husband was quick to tell him it wasn’t for sale but he told the guy he would ask me and get back to him anyway. He told me that he even debated telling me about the offer but I knew that by him doing so; he knew as well as I did, that it was the best, most lucrative way to get us “to the promised land” that Jesus had prepared for us. (We didn’t even know where it was yet but had faith that we were supposed to plan for it and be ready to go when we found out.)
Sure enough…within a week we called up the same gentleman that bought our welder; he purchased my car and was on his way. The emptiness that sat in the third garage made me wonder why I just couldn’t get rid of my worldly things as easily as my husband could. What was I holding on to? Weren't all of my riches through Him and my "stuff" no longer necessary? He will provide. We had faith, and faith is not just believing he can...but knowing he will.
“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Luke 12:32-34
We let go…and let God; literally. The day the car was sold we looked online for a place to live and decided on Plymouth, MI.; a small township over an hour from where we were living; no friends, no family, no jobs…just faith. We found an ad for a condo and set up an appointment to look at it just a few days later. A few days after that we received a phone call it was ours. And just two weeks after that…we moved.
I still can’t believe how quick I was to spend entirely too much money on too much “stuff.” Cars and purses, jewelry and toys that, in the end, were just forms of currency like shells or beads used by my Native American ancestors. I wanted people to see my brands and wore them proudly while judging the lack of theirs, not wondering about their circumstances or even caring. Yet…when I became a Christian, I wondered if people could tell I changed or if I looked any differently. I remember even being embarrassed to wear a cross necklace my mom had given to me to commemorate the occasion, like honoring your first day of school or acceptance into college. I was so ready to honor the brands of Coach, Prada, Burberry, or Dolce and Gabbana yet wearing the symbol of a God that rescued me from it all was something to be embarrassed of. It cost me nothing and it cost Him his life.
I am happy to say that the designer labels are just that…labels. I no longer represent those brands but I represent THE brand; ME... The way that he made me; perfect fit, size, and color. Never out of stock and always in season. And the cross necklace? I wear it prominently along with any others I can get my hands on. I am no longer worldly but do still love my bling. And you know what? That’s okay too because it is the me that he made me to be and I'm representing Him the best way I know how.
Birthday presents from my husband this year.
Much brighter than any Coach bag I ever carried and definite conversation starter
"Ahhh..... let me tell you about my cross and what it means to me"  <wink>

2 comments:

  1. You know what? I am pretty fond of the ME he created too. Go figure.

    I looooove the friends that the new me has. Blessed beyond measure and shinier than any bling in my jewelry box!!

    ReplyDelete