Friday, November 19, 2010

Six Degrees of Separation


Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is a trivia game based on the concept of the small world phenomenon and rests on the assumption that any individual can be linked through his or her film roles to actor Keven Bacon within six steps. The name of the game is a paraphrase of the “six degrees of separation” concept. The game requires a group of players to try to connect any individual to Kevin Bacon as quickly as possible in as few links as possible.

You may have heard that every person in the world is connected to anyone else by no more than six degrees of separation – six friends of friends of friends. The point is that we are all more connected than we realize.

When it comes to mentoring and encouraging others, it’s all about discovering connections. When you begin to look intentionally for connections with others (not necessarily friends of friends, but universal experiences you may share with another person, such as dealing with depression or addiction, making choices about a career, or striving for personal fulfillment), you’ll realize you have much in common. In any given conversation, relationship, or scenario, you are only a few degrees away from an opportunity to influence another person. If you’ll only be intentional.

I have recently experienced a couple of situations that are just too close in degrees not to mention and I know that, unlike  a cast of characters being connected to Kevin Bacon in six steps; the most direct way to be connected to ANYONE is Jesus. He brings us all together with no middle man required. BUT….it is fun to see just how he connects us, as if moving pieces around on a game board and then waiting for us to discover the reason.

Facebook is the ultimate application to the six degrees theory. Even if you aren’t completely sold on the idea, it is hard to ignore the “Suggested Friends” in the margin being handpicked for you, based on similar connections found. I go to Northridge church, as do 24,000 others. My name popped up in the margin for Victor who happens to also be a member of the same church and have two mutual friends and then we became “friends.” In looking at Victor’s profile, I also noticed that there was another connection completely unrelated to church. He and his wife Vanessa run a florist in Plymouth, where I live AND they also donate flowers and breast cancer ribbons and are active in the 3Day for a Cure, 60Mile breast cancer walk…I am an eleven year survivor and walked in 2009; and am walking again with Lylas in 2011. But it gets even crazier.

My daughter’s friend that came to stay with us until they get an apartment has a friend in Monica from a city an hour away. I chatted and added her and then learned that her mom is also a breast cancer survivor… so I proceeded to “add her as a friend” on facebook also; chatting about the walk and making plans to meet at church one weekend. It was only in opening her profile that I noticed, in the left margin where mutual friends are displayed….that she is ALSO friends with Victor. Accident? Coincidence? I don't think so.

God has a way of putting people in our lives before we even realize we need them. Maybe they are the ones that need us and he goes to extra lengths to connect us in a way that is not necessary until you realize it couldn’t have happened any other way.

For instance… when we moved to Plymouth last year with no jobs, family, or friends; I wanted to do something to meet people and interact with my neighbors. I decided I wanted to sell Avon. I called a representative and she was going to come to my house before we moved but I was out of her region so I needed to all another. I made contact with someone but it fell through and we never connected. After phone tag for a bit, we agreed that it would have to wait until I got back from California; hoping to be back before the end of summer. She called me in late July and I told her that I wouldn’t be back until December but was still VERY interested, please call me then. I was excited to share Avon with my neighbors and said I was excited to offer makeup and skin care solutions to my Lylas small group and women in ministry with me at my church. You guessed it…after five minutes we learned we went to the same church. But… so do 24,000 other people.

I hadn’t expected to chat with her again until I get home in a couple of weeks, but God had a better idea. In talking with one of my Lylas from bible study, she told me of a Homecoming Lunch with the women from that study and another, as well as friends from church. She was talking about those that would be there and then mentioned “Susan….she knows you too.” I couldn’t remember knowing a Susan from church but she assured me that she knew me and said she felt an interesting connection the first time we spoke….over the phone to sell Avon. Can you believe it?? In a church of 25,000 members; a woman I spoke to when moving to Plymouth in March told me she went to my church AND she just so happens to be the co-leader of a bible study filled with women I am blessed to call friends.

I shouldn’t be surprised in all that He does; especially lately. Everything just falls into place when he is involved. Even things that aren’t going perfectly work themselves out in the end and you know it had to happen that way.

I love figuring out some of the things he has in store for me; people he puts into my life and scenarios he allows me to be a part of. He knows exactly what he is doing and even though I don’t feel worthy a lot of the time and say “Why Me?” he looks at me and smiles.... “Why not you?” People ask me how I can be so hopeful with all I have been through this past year and I smile in response. I just know he is going to be there with me no matter what. There are no accidents and I am not getting through anything alone, but with Jesus and ALL of the people that he puts in my path.
“Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” 1Peter 3:15..........                 I AM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment